Friday 21 February 2014

Flashback Friday! #2

My first Flashback Friday was really fun to write and I loved it so I'm going to try to do this more regularly. You can read it here- it featured Deenie by Judy Blume, one of my favourite books ever!



This week, the book is... A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This is one of very few classics that I've read but I enjoyed it so much. My mum wanted me to read it and I kept putting it off, thinking that I wouldn't enjoy it and that it would be hard to understand, but I read it when I was about 11, so it can't be too difficult to understand.

Sara Crewe, an exceptionally intelligent and imaginative student at Miss Minchin's Select Seminary for Young Ladies, is devastated when her adored, indulgent father dies. Now penniless and banished to a room in the attic, Sara is demeaned, abused, and forced to work as a servant. How this resourceful girl's fortunes change again is at the center of A Little Princess, one of the best-loved stories in all of children's literature.- From Goodreads

I remember that when I read this, I really loved Sara as a character because she was just so lovely. Lovely as in kind and generous despite always having a lot herself, and being compassionate to those who don't. I also loved the world that she lived in. The book is set in the past, so that was really interesting and different for me, as I don't read a lot of books from different eras. At first I thought that this would annoy me but I loved reading about a time that I have no memories of.
Another thing I really loved was the descriptions in the story, especially of the Seminary and of the surrounding area. I had a real picture in my mind of exactly how it would look where Sara was and that helped a lot with enjoying the book. 
The plot will make you happy at times, and sad at times, but the story is just beautiful.

In terms of the book being a classic, I think that that would put some people off from reading it because of the language being different and the general style of writing, but honestly the story is heart-warming and definitely worth the read. It may take longer than the average book to finish but it's definitely worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment