Monday 21 October 2013

The Fault in Our Stars- Review

Okay, so this first review may be quite unoriginal given the amount of popularity that the book has increased in recently, but I felt like this book had to be on here. The title is The Fault in our Stars and the author is John Green, a magician with words and the king of imagery. I could literally just list the phrases and metaphors and similes that I wish I had poured onto a page for ever, but I won't. 

Instead, I will review the story, hopefully without John Green's genius clouding my vision. 

The story is written from the point of view of Hazel, who is seventeen and is an avid reader, watcher of reality t.v, and fan of Peter Van Houten- her favourite author. She also has cancer. But this isn't a story in which you spend the whole time feeling sorry for the girl. Sometimes female characters in books, I find, are a bit irritating- whiny and un-likeable but Hazel is a representation of someone I would like to meet. Quite early into the book, she meets Augustus who is charming and kind and understanding of Hazel because he had cancer also. Throughout the book, we follow Hazel and Augustus- but don't worry, it's not an annoying romance story; it is just sweet and brilliant. They aren't the only characters who are likeable and intriguing. Their friend Isaac is great, and personally, Hazel's mum (or mom) is one of my favourites because she is just so mum-ish. Overall, the way the characters are put together is incredible. Every cell of each character is made easy to picture and  as the story develops so do the characters. Lots of things happen in the story, which I don't really want to give away, but you will laugh a lot. You will maybe cry, but it is worth it.

In my opinion, the whole story is believable and at no point did I think 'this would never happen'. The way in which it is written makes me jealous of John Green's talent and I find myself wishing I could read it again for the first time. I don't think I am the only massive fan of the book, as a film of the book is out in 2014. I'm not a fan-girl of the book, don't worry, I just really, really love it. From the moment I started the book I couldn't put it down. Literally could not put it down. Lots of things happen in the book which will make you think about things differently, and if you are like me, you will read the book more than 78983 times. 

Finally, I would recommend this book to people from the ages of 13 onwards. This is only roughly, and I say onwards because my mum read it and she's a fully grown adult and loved it! I can't think of any books this is similar to- plot wise, I haven't actually read anything similar, but the obvious books that are alike would be others by John Green, and they are only alike in style of writing I think. 

Other Books by John Green:
  • Paper towns
  •  Looking for Alaska (I read this but didn't enjoy it as much as TFIOS)
  • Will Grayson, Will Grayson
  • An abundance of Katherines
You can buy The Fault in Our Stars on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fault-Stars-John-Green/dp/0141345659/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382374875&sr=8-1&keywords=the+fault+in+our+stars for £3.49 with free postage in the U.K. You can also look inside the book on that link which is always good.


No comments:

Post a Comment